View Single Post
Old 04-07-2023, 12:55 PM
Cujo665
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Semi-Retired...

Originally Posted by FlyinCat View Post
They should look at more than just money for retention. Better commuter policies, for example. 2 free hotel rooms per month, along with 2 positive space tickets to commute per month perhaps. Tie it to years of service and make sure the best perks are given to those Captains that have been around the longest. Obviously more money could pay for that too, but regionals are going to have to get creative and stuff like that sounds real nice to a wannabe commuter. Personally, I thought I'd hang around Republic longer but I'd like to move closer to family and that's making the majors look more attractive to me. Living where you want is worth more than money to a lot of people.
2?

How about ANYTIME they have you uncommutable is the correct answer, and with a soft money override for coming in on your day off, or staying into your days off for their crappy schedule building, and if it is an off day commute, positive space commute also. Don't sell yourself short. It's cheaper for them to give you the seat, than to give you the hotel.

Make the job a decent one, and more would consider it a career. Plenty of guys were forced to stay at regionals their entire career due to the lost decade and the recession, most would kill for the pay and work rules being snuffed at by newbies today. Not a dig, just a fact. I'm glad it changed, wish it happened sooner, and more is yet to be done.