View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Otto123
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Default Flight Instructor as a Career?

Hello,

I am currently in my final training for my Commercial and CFI and had a few questions.

I understand how cyclical the airline industry can be for pilots, or more so...pilots with low seniority. I also understand that cargo tends to be a little more steady with regard to the ups and downs the airlines go through, but have heard that those are well sought after jobs. What I was wondering, since I do like to help people learn, is whether or not there is truly a decent living to be made in the flight instructing world? Obviously flight instructing will have its ups and downs as well depending on the economy, but for a low time pilot and one that isn't necessarily striving to fly the big iron right away...is there any way to make a good living as a career flight instructor?

In my few years of flight training and flying, I have really only come across much younger flight instructors that simply say the pay sucks. If one was to choose to take the route of a career flight instructor, is the chief flight instructor really the only one that makes a decent living within a flight school? I can't seem to really get a straight answer to this.

Thank you for your responses.