View Single Post
Old 04-15-2023, 08:09 AM
Flyby1206
SDQ Base Chief

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 320 CA

Originally Posted by CincoDeMayo View Post
I think you’re misunderstanding the example. The pilot lives in TPA, his car is in TPA. He is based in MCO. A Y list would be for a trip that has its first operating leg from TPA, say a pilot busted out sick in TPA on an overnight and they need a CA for that flight now. A transportation leg from MCO to TPA does nothing for the TPA pilot, he is in TPA, Y listing for TPA originating trips.

The point of the Y list is to avoid having to put a pilot in a car and drive them from MCO to TPA, when we have pilots living in non domicile bases, wanting to operating a flight.

For NK, you could do well if you lived in a non domicile city where we do a lot of overnights; LAX and BWI come to mind.
Originally Posted by RemoveB4flght View Post
Cinco touched on this in the above response, but to elaborate more using your example of MCO base and TPA flight, let’s say it’s one leg to ATL and DH home.

X list is beyond 3 hours, so if they need an MCO pilot in TPA and they called pilots in Orlando for the trip it will start with a company limo MCO-TPA. He does the flight and they deadhead him back to MCO.

Y list is under 3 hours, so they need someone there PDQ. If you are Y listed in TPA and they call you, they will return you to base, so you will fly to ATL and they deadhead you back to MCO. What most pilots do is get released from the deadhead and jumpseat back to TPA, or you can take the company deadhead and rent a car. This is one reason many people don’t Y list, but I’ll buy a $100 rental against a $6k one leg soft credit premium trip.
Thanks guys, definitely makes sense if it is a nice one leg operate and DH back to a base. And you're right that a rental car is a small price to pay for a $6k trip. I'm just a pilot doing what we do best 🤣