View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 07:00 AM
SoCalGuy
Keep Calm Chive ON

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Boeing's Plastic Jet Button Pusher - 787

Originally Posted by jetgo166 View Post
Emirates gets their fuel from refineries from Malaysia, if I am correct. They claim to pay market rate for their fuel, like everyone else, and they have always stated that they do not get subsidized by the local government. Whether that is true or not is subject to debate, but their business model is completely different from anything here in the states. Also, they have cut deals with countries such as Libya, when such countries end up owing them money ( why do they owe them money, I do not know), and get paid in gallons of Jet-A instead of currency. That and the ready availability of extremely cheap sub-continent labor, and "...no labor unions" as their recruiter so proudly announces, gives them something that this business has not seen. Comparing them to anything here is apples to oranges. That said, they are the classiest airline I ever dealt with.
Who knows.....Not to deviate too far from the thread/topic, but you are talking about business and practices in the Middle East.....If I were to bet, some of the business practices are not "above the board" by our standards.

Last edited by SoCalGuy; 04-13-2008 at 07:42 AM.