View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Otto123
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Thank you everyone for your responses and advice. I am truly as confused as when I started, LOL. Just kidding.

It seems that like any other job, you have to apply yourself to make a good go of it. I understand that and have no issues with that.

I guess your responses lead me to another aspect to ask since I haven't been working in the aviation industry.

Obviously building time and getting multiple ratings, along with learning the nuances of aviation is a good thing that can be attributed to instructing; what I was wondering is if most of you acquired your current jobs through either people you met while instructing, or through networking while instructing? Is it the practice of pumping out resumes and time/rating information to different aviation employers in hopes you get return calls? Did most of you walk your resumes in to meet face to face the first time? I have heard that this industry is a huge "who you know" industry. Have any of you worked with a mentor as you have built time? Is there any benefit to working with a mentor in the airline industry?

Again, thanks for your advice.

Also, thank you for the link to the story of your career progression...very interesting read that brings up another question.

For someone such as myself getting ready to finish up my commercial, which is more valuable right out of the box, a commercial multi or the CFI?