View Single Post
Old 05-11-2023, 01:17 AM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by MacrossJet View Post
Just got my CFI & CFII, looking for instructing jobs to get me to 1500, stat. United is my #1. United has hired 3,000 pilots I've read here since 2021. I currently have 500 hrs. probably have a year to get 1000 more hours. In that time will I have missed the front of the hiring wave, in say 1-2 years, after reaching 1500 and getting hired on at a regional/ULCC/LCC? Or will I be more in the middle part of the wave? Trying not to be at the tail end of the wave. What year approximately barring a black swan event, or age 67, do I need to be hired in order to be above the waterline, to not get furloughed if the economy were to go into a tailspin say 5 or 10 yrs after getting hired at a legacy, preferably UA?

My friend flies for Envoy and he says that American has better career progression than UA, also that they haven't hired as much as either Delta, or United. He says that with my timeline to 1500tt and getting competitive for the legacies at 2500tt, that AA better fits the bill. I prefer UA. Thoughts?

Lastly,

Has anyone heard any scuttlebutt if UA going to be dropping mins to 1000 turbine time preferred, like Delta?
If you were hired today, you’ve likely still missed the front of the hiring wave, so I wouldn’t worry about it. All of the legacies have hired ~3000 pilots in recent years, most under 35 years old, and in more recent times under 30/28 years old.

Anyone hired today will have a massive block of about 3-4000 pilots that will sit a few years in front of them for their entire career.

Don’t take that the wrong way though, it’ll still be a great career with nice progression and warming potential.