Thread: INDOC
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 03:53 AM
MtnFlying
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2021

I posted this in the "On Boarding" thread back in January and it is still relevant. I'd suggest taking some time to read through the other threads, as a lot of the questions you may have are already out there. Not trying to be snarky, just a suggestion...

The only thing that really changes from class to class is the length of time off between each phase after both Indoc sections are done.

---------------------------

The info below continues to change as the number of available training slots are in flux due to the number of new hires coming onboard, so this is just my footprint as an example. Each fleet may also be different as well. I'm on the Challenger and just finished OE in December. Both Indoc classes will be the same for all three fleets though.

Initial Indoc: 4 Days at HQ's in Cleveland (Tue travel, class Wed to Fri, travel home on Friday night) Covers HR stuff, uniform sizing, badges, iPhone issue, CC issue, basic company classes (HR, finance, IT...), etc.

Traveled to Dallas on Sunday afternoon.

Basic Indoc: 7 days at CAE in Dallas (Mon to Sun) Part 135/91K focus (only 6 days for the Phenom crews because day 7 was oceanic plotting for the Challenger and Legacy)

***This is where you might get an extended break. I had 14 days off between the end of Indoc and the start of ground school. The Phenom guys had the same 14 day break. Half my class had a 4 week break due to training slot availability. This was actually good, because I was able to study and have my limitations, memory items, and all of my flows memorized for both seats. Highly recommend buying the cockpit poster (Challenger anyway) that is available at PilotMall.com, the ones they gave us were tiny and hard to see.

Ground School: 8 days (Mon Travel, class Tue to Mon) - Location could be Orlando, Dallas, St Louis, or other training location as assigned by fleet. We had one day off between ground and sims.

Sims: 8 days (Wed to Wed) - Five 4-hour sessions plus mock checkride, FAA checkride, and then one LOFT session.

Initial OE: I was able to complete mine during a single 8 day trip and that included one day of reserve at the hotel with no trips assigned. Some of my classmates had two trips to get theirs done because they were shorter in length.

As far as the break after training, you will get a minimum of 7 days off between the completion of LOFT and the start of OE. I had 7 weeks off until I started OE and some of my classmates had closer to 11 weeks off. It was only supposed to be 2-3 weeks, but instructor availability plays into it and we bumped up against Christmas and prime vacation time. Never asked what the issue was, just enjoyed my time off until called. Your paid the same training pay all the way until OE completion, no matter how much time off you have.

As soon as the paperwork hit the crew scheduling desk that I was OE complete, I had my schedule for the rest of December and January posted before I even got back home from my trip...lol.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!