View Single Post
Old 05-28-2023, 07:37 AM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by 11B flyer View Post
...would like to know which fleet has most layovers or ability to start a trip in BOS with a self dhd.
Self DH is impossible to predict. That changes rapidly by the bid month.

NB fleets of course layover there but a large number of those layovers aren't super long. Many of the ones that look OK on paper (oooo, 14 hours at home!) have awful 4-5 AM something reports, etc. There are of course some nice 18-24+ hour layovers just not a lot from what I've seen.

The 330 does a lot of 24+ hour layovers in BOS but that varies month to month on which base we're talking about. Trips like Base-LHR-BOS-AMS-Base. There will be the very occasional Base-DH to BOS-24 hour overnight then international. Those exist but are relatively rare most of the time and I have no idea how senior they go even when they do exist.

You may indeed find a niche for a while where you can pick some of these things to a certain degree. But IMO it will be the exception not the rule. Except of course the normal 24 hour layovers on the 330 and maybe the 767 which are fairly regular but can shift in base month to month. But I'd go into it understanding that you will probably have to commute both ways the vast majority of the time and self DH's will be rare most months.

I do think BOS will be a base for something this either year or next. Which plane is anyone's guess. However whatever it is will be a new category and everyone can bid it regardless of seat locks. If I had to guess I'd say 320 is the most likely. 330 actually makes the second most senst IMO, followed by 737 and 220 which is possible but not nearly as likely. I highly doubt the 75/763/764, 717 or 350 will ever be based there.