Old 04-15-2008, 06:42 AM
N5139
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Default Question for the "old-timers" re: workload/automation

Good morning,

Just wondering if the seasoned veterans of the industry wouldn't mind providing some insight. Technological advances in the development of avionics has been tremendous in the past forty years, as has a dramatic increase in air traffic. In your experience, would you say that automation in the cockpit has led to a decrease in the skill required to command a transport-category aircraft, or just allowed us to operate in a "tighter" environment that requires more attention than ever (also enabling better decision making)?

Line experience and a familiarity with one's operation is an invaluable skill set, but I'm just wondering how much things have changed from operating larger aircraft in "green needles" with DME to the RNAV environment. In my very inexperienced (2 years on the job at a commuter) opinion, I'm starting to see that airline flying has very little to do with stick and rudder (albeit very necessary when needed) and more to do with the ability to efficiently make decisions based on numerous sources of information (fuel, weather, comfort, operational demands, duty requirements, you name it). I don't intend for this thread to turn into a "pilotless aircraft" argument for the above reasons, but I just want to get a feel for what it was like before RVSM, Q routes, etc.

Thanks!