View Single Post
Old 05-28-2023, 02:21 PM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by jaynick1 View Post
Hey all, came across this forum after being talked on by a co worker and wanted to introduce myself and try to learn some stuff and ask a few questions from those that have been there done that.

BLUF: I recently was, and quite unexpectedly, passed over for Lt Col in the Air Force. Which could open up some opportunities for me next year. No negative info, no Q3s, OPRs decent, pretty "decent" progression, more combat time and air medals than is probably healthy, and all my PME complete. I suspect I lacked any staff jobs as the biggest factor, which seems to be the current atmosphere.

09' from the Zoo, and didn't get a pilot slot, so spent some time as an engineer, -15E WSO, kept working my butt off while finishing my PPL and finally got a pilot slot on AD 9 years later. Decided to take the ADSC, in exchange for the AF paying for my ratings/flight hours. Did a sucessful ops tour in U28/PC12s and decided to go to PIT for T6s, which I am just finishing up now.

So with this recent news of being a non select for O-5, I will have one more look above the zone. With promotion rates in that realm in the mid to low single digits, I doubt that it will happen. If/when this happens I may (probably) be offered continuation. However, I don't have much desire to accept that which would, in effect, release me from my UPT commitment around 5 years early.

Question is kind of looking for advice on what do to now? Easy route would be to just accept continuation and serve out the rest of my time. My heart says start shopping for reserve jobs, finish my ATP, and try my luck at getting hired by a Major. I will be at about 1600-1700 TT with a, hopefully, complete ATP. Would love to get some insight/advice from those that might have been in my position.

Cheers.
U28/PC-12 time is known quality. Assuming your 1600-1700TT is actual pilot time, go get your multi engine rating and do ATP/CTP. Get hired by a regional or ULCC and be at a competing legacy in short order.