View Single Post
Old 05-29-2023, 06:08 AM
jaynick1
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2023

Originally Posted by Otterbox View Post
U28/PC-12 time is known quality. Assuming your 1600-1700TT is actual pilot time, go get your multi engine rating and do ATP/CTP. Get hired by a regional or ULCC and be at a competing legacy in short order.
I have the multi rating and all the mins for an ATP so will be attacking that in short order.

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
If your risk tolerance is very low, or your family situation absolutely requires a decent income and good bennies, probably better try to stick it out in the mil. The cost of doing that is missing most of the big hiring wave.

The big risk factor you have to contemplate is having some medical problem after you leave AD but before you get 20 years in the reserves. You could not only lose your airline job (many majors have good LTD though), you could also lose your reserve gig prior to 20 and lose your pension. It would have to be something pretty bad though, you can do desk jobs in the reserves without being PQ to fly if you just need to run the clock out. Consideration is here is what degrees/skills do you have? Zoo grad in general should be able to get a decent desk job in industry regardless.

Otherwise, grab a legacy seniority number and enjoy some good QOL, very high pay, and flexibility to trade between the two. Finish up your 20 in the reserves and with your YOS you'll get a very nice bonus check starting at age 60 (plus TRICARE for your eventual airline retirement at age 65/67).

In the past maybe the big three would raise eyebrows at getting passed over, but in this climate they're just happy to have anyone with mil wings. "Flew too much, didn't do enough staff" probably won't hurt you with the airlines lol.

Your total time is a tad low, worst case you do a few months at a regional or second tier and then you'd be a shoe-in. I do mean "months".
For sure, I have considered the possible negative outcomes. My family situation is pretty simple and I have enough made/saved that I can afford to be unemployed for a year or two worst case. I workout 4-6 times a week and stay pretty healthy, but you never know unfortunately. Hopefully when I finish PIT in the next couple weeks and get to Columbus I can pick some of the local reserve guys brains on the subject as well. Thanks for the responses, lots of info to get smart on a lot sooner than I was planning ha.