View Single Post
Old 05-30-2023, 02:27 PM
MDbreeze
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2023
Default Where do I go from here?

Hello everyone and thank you for reading,

Last April I began flight training and soon thereafter resigned my full time position as a Health Inspector to train full time. Last week I completed my commercial rating and am now working on my CFI. While I was working on my Private/Instrument/Commercial I was training 5-7 days a week, but now I can't find an instructor that can train me full time for CFI. I understand CFI training is ALOT of self study but I still see it taking about 2-3 months before I get endorsed to take the exam because of my current instructors availability. The problem is: I am someone who has a hard time being patient and am running out of funds saved from my previous place of employment. Where do I go from here to make the most out of my time? Below are some ideas I'm thinking of; feel free to provide insight on anything I haven't thought of!

Continue to train at my current school. I know there will be a job waiting for me once I finish, however, I don't have a timeline on when I will be finished. Hard to get a clear answer from instructor.

Get a part time job at an FBO while simultaneously doing CFI training. This is where I am headed; my only concern is that it may take even longer to get CFI since I would have to coordinate a work schedule as well. Getting connections seems like a plus. Unfortunately closest towered field to my house is 40 minutes away and is government run.

Find an area where I can train with for CFI full time/do an accelerated CFI course. Would be willing to relocate temporarily. Worried about the cost/value though.

Put more emphasis on getting my commercial multi and try to get job as SIC at Flight Safety/CAE in the sim. Great opportunity; worried about competitiveness. I know I can get the multi faster than CFI but is a gamble on whether or not it will have any immediate value.

I have immediate family in the New York Metro Area where I could relocate to do a combination of what I've mentioned above. What would you all do if you were in my shoes? My goal is to fly for a living as soon as possible at any caliber; and then eventually get paid more to do so. I sincerely appreciate any comments and will readily respond to questions.