NotMrNiceGuy , 06-09-2023 09:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off
NotMrNiceGuy
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Oct 2015
Quote:
What are “industry leading pay rates”? Is that a black and white definition? Do we have to exceed DL’s max rate that won’t occur for 3+ years from now when we sign possibly this year, or is there a potential for a gradual ramp up just as DL is doing? Does it matter that only a fraction of their pilots actually get paid at that max rate when almost all of ours do? Is it truly reasonable to expect FedEx 767-300 and A300 pilots to make the same rate as the top producing aircraft at airline X (DL in this case)? Are you really willing to turn down an overall rich and truly industry leading contract in terms of per pilot cost and outlay of real 2023 dollars by the company because of one metric (max 777/A350 rate at Delta)? If so, fine – make your choice.

First of all, I think you had a very well thought out, cogent response that largely left emotion at the door. I think that’s important in any debate. So thanks for that.

Regarding your position about pay rates, I think there are a couple of points to be broached. The first is that as recently as last year, UPS was the industry leader in WB pay rates. And they have an entire pay band that encompasses the 757. According to your logic, this should no be expected by their crew force. IMO, the fact that we have a NB banded rate below UPS rates means that we should have WB banded rates exceeding the highest WB rates since we are saving cost on the NB rates. I’m also curious if our WB rate in 2015 was below the legacies at the time. If it wasn’t acceptable then, why is it now?

Second, Delta negotiated a host of QOL items that bore the greatest amount of costs on this contract. Pay was a secondary item that was ultimately boosted by the shear nature of the inflationary environment we find ourselves in right now. Had we some other primary positions that were expensive, I could be moved on pay. But until I find that out, there’s no reason for us to concede on pay. To me, the flying we do warrants the premium pay in contrast to our passenger brothers and sisters.

The last point is simple. Our pay banding should be an advantage, not a drawback. The folks on the 777 should not be drawn down to the 767-300 pay rate. The 767/Airbus should be pulled up. Otherwise there is no benefit to the pay banding and we should drop it.

What are “industry leading pay rates”?
Delta and American

Is that a black and white definition?
Yes

Do we have to exceed DL’s max rate that won’t occur for 3+ years from now when we sign possibly this year, or is there a potential for a gradual ramp up just as DL is doing?
Personally, I think this has some variability. As long as we raise the bar with the ending rates in 2027 for the industry, I’m fine with it. How we get there doesn’t matter to me. But we need to exceed in both WB and NB rates.

Does it matter that only a fraction of their pilots actually get paid at that max rate when almost all of ours do?
No. Pay is for aircraft type alone. It has nothing to do with how a company manages its business. Markets determine rates and companies should not rely on employees taking costing hits to get ahead of the competition.

Is it truly reasonable to expect FedEx 767-300 and A300 pilots to make the same rate as the top producing aircraft at airline X (DL in this case)?
Was it unreasonable that UPS 757 pilots were earning more than UAL, AAL, and DAL 787/777/A350 pilots last year?

Are you really willing to turn down an overall rich and truly industry leading contract in terms of per pilot cost and outlay of real 2023 dollars by the company because of one metric (max 777/A350 rate at Delta)?
It depends on the overall value of the contract. But based upon the rumors, it’s not looking like an “overall rich and truly industry leading contract”. If the retirement A-Plan starts with a 2 and the DC matches UPS with cash over cap, I could be moved on pay rates. But I have my doubts.

Again, really appreciate you taking the time with your thoughtful response.