View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 08:53 PM
WEACLRS
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737/FO

Originally Posted by ranch4x4
Let's say my friend needs instrument proficency and I agree to act as his safety pilot. Let it be understood that I am a PPL and have been checked out in the airplane prior to the ride. He wants to fly holding patterns at night (no need for foggles right?) Would I be able to log NIGHT, INSTRUMENT (ACTUAL OR SIM?), and PIC?

Let's also say the flight lasted 2.0 hours, but I only acted as PIC for 1.8. Do I log the total time as 2.0 and PIC as 1.8..... OR do I log 1.8 as both total and PIC?

Sorry, I know this is getting technical.
Assumptions: Your friend rents/owns the aircraft (say a C-172) and the both of you decide before the flight he is PIC (part 1.1) and you are the safety pilot (part 91.109). Because he needs an instrument proficiency he is not IFR current and therefor the flight is conducted entirely in VMC.

You may log only the time that he is under the hood and the aircraft is in VMC (safety pilot is not required in IMC). If the flight is 2.0 total duration, at night, and he is under the hood for 1.7 of the 2.0, you may log 1.7 Total Duration of Flight, 1.7 Night, 1.7 Single Engine, and 1.7 PIC. This PIC time is not part 1.1 PIC time. It is PIC time the FAA allows toward certificates and ratings. But when you get to the airlines, they will most likely want you to deduct that time from your PIC total because is wasn't PIC time as defined in part 1.1. They will also most likely deduct any time you logged as "PIC" while receiving dual instruction, because your instructor was part 1.1 PIC, not you.

Something to note. There is no such column in most log books for "Total Time". That column we all use is "total duration of flight" with the emphasis on "flight". There is no definition in the 14 CFR's for "total time" and any time you log in "total duration of flight" must occur "in flight" (or taxi before flight with the intention of flight or at the completion of a flight - block to block). Time in ANY simulator or FTD, including full-motion level C and D does not count as "total duration of flight" and shouldn't be added in there.

Last edited by WEACLRS; 05-31-2006 at 09:11 PM.