Thread: Age 67
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2023, 08:40 PM
TheEskimo
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2023

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Postage stamp increases aren't arbitrary; they're driven by costs, revenue, and market influences that impact revenue.

Age 67 isn't an arbitrary number that's been picked out of the ether. It's a small number; a small incremental increase. Certainly as the human body ages, we see diminishing or changing factors that involve joints, eyesight, breathing, circulation, etc. We see increasing instances of cancers, etc. Consider a sample of a set 65-67, and one of 65-75, and you'd see not only a total aggregate increase in health issues, but a statistically significant increase not just related to the number of pilots. You'd see fewer and fewer capable of passing a medical, working, or possibly willing to work.

67 is a small increment. It's not an ambitious increment. It's possible with an increase to 67, a drive to move to 68 or 69 might occur in the future, once a determination that 67 didn't have the negative impact that the sky-is-falling crowd believed. (Same thing occurred with age 60 to 65). Moving the age to 67 is a reasonable, conservative change in the regulation. There's no valid reason that age 67 should not be enacted as the retirement age, for now.
Obviously you’re coming up at the magic age of 65. I totally don’t see your argument to keep the experience in the cockpit. There’s plenty of young captains at my airline that can do as good of a job as I can our better. I am talking 25-45 year olds. I just turned 60 and can’t wait to retire! I would’ve done it already except I had almost 3 years off on medical. CL