Thread: FAA Easing Rules for Mental Health Issues

bdawg1123 , 06-27-2023 05:02 AM
New Hire
bdawg1123
New Hire
close
  • Joined APC
    Jun 2023
Quote: I would make an appointment to see an AME, or spend the $$ to contact AMAS. Their Docs are experts on stuff like this. They have weekly calls with the FAA going over their clients cases. I don't know about others on here but I had to Google "SSRI" to even find out what you were talking about. AMAS: https://www.aviationmedicine.com/
Thanks AirBear - I contacted AMAS with my query and thought I would share the results.

Overall, clearly Special Issuance for Mental Health and SSRIs are approved on a case by case basis, however they noted that more and more airline pilots are going through the SSRI special issuance, and choose to maintain the Special Issuance for the long term because they feel better on SSRIs.

That information was extremely promising to me, and made me feel a whole lot better about going through the entire special issuance process. I work in another industry currently, however am training under basicmed (used to have a Class 1 Medical). Once I get (if I get) my special issuance, I'll hopefully be a Private Pilot by then, and can make the decision whether I want to jump into Aviation as a new career path.