View Single Post
Old 07-03-2023, 08:36 AM
TransWorld
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

Originally Posted by PNWFlyer View Post
my info was stolen in the 2007 Tricare data breach. They didn’t use the data until 2012. I caught it pretty quick without ID protection. Phone started rigging with CC Companies wanting to verify some information. Filed a police report and kept telling whoever called it was fraud. Lasted a few months. It was a pain but now I never have to worry about it. My SSN has been flagged no one will just open an account without multiple verification steps.
I had someone steal my identity 25 years ago. Had a credit card company call me for additional verification. Checked with the credit agencies. Found a signature loan company. He had applied to, was going to come in to pick up a check in person, later that day. They notified their suburban police. Got a call from a detective. Two detectives were at another desk, “transacting business”, waiting for him. When he signed and was handed the check, he was handcuffed. He kept saying in the interrogation room, he did not understand how he had been caught. He had been doing this fraud for two decades. He was sentenced to two years in prison.