View Single Post
Old 07-10-2023, 06:44 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I have done the exact same thing, and the service provided exactly what I was looking for. I've directed a lot of people there, with the same results.

That said, I can see why someone might want to maintain an ongoing subscription (say, a year at a time) or an autopay. Even someone who has a "pinnacle of the industry" job with a company that "is the industry" such as the mighty legacies...because stuff happens. Furloughs, economic downturns. Stuff.

If one is working in this industry long enough, one will experience or see such events; shutdowns, mergers, closures, bankruptcies, etc, and one may end up looking for work. When one finds one's self in need, that is not the time to begin looking. That's the time to have already been looking. I've had some very good jobs in my career (and some not-so-greats); a habit I developed, which I believe is worthwhile, is to never stop watching the job market, and to keep applying, looking, checking, etc.

Even if one is employed, it may be worth subscribing to a few services such as job listings, interview reports, etc.

(No, I don't work for them, and no, I get nothing form them for my opinion).

What I do really tire of are those who are too cheap or too lazy to subscribe, who come on here and places like here, asking "what's on the orange site?" "What's on planejobs.com?" etc. It doesn't take that much time or money to subscribe and watch the listings, and some, like JSFirm, are free.