View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 04:08 PM
ranch4x4
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by WEACLRS

You may log only the time that he is under the hood and the aircraft is in VMC (safety pilot is not required in IMC). If the flight is 2.0 total duration, at night, and he is under the hood for 1.7 of the 2.0, you may log 1.7 Total Duration of Flight, 1.7 Night, 1.7 Single Engine, and 1.7 PIC. This PIC time is not part 1.1 PIC time. It is PIC time the FAA allows toward certificates and ratings. But when you get to the airlines, they will most likely want you to deduct that time from your PIC total because is wasn't PIC time as defined in part 1.1. They will also most likely deduct any time you logged as "PIC" while receiving dual instruction, because your instructor was part 1.1 PIC, not you.
Great post, that's all the information I wanted. Now for a hypothetical question. If I log the 1.7 total, 1.7 night, 1.7 PIC and since there is no column labled "safety pilot" how would anyone know that it is indeed safety pilot time?

When I do go to log it, should I put "Acted as safety PIC for 1.7 hours for a 2.0 hour flight" in the remarks section?