View Single Post
Old 07-26-2023, 07:41 AM
QRH Bingo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by mjt2147 View Post
Love your name! I grew up in Wisconsin and remember Midwest Express. For those that don't, it was really something. Actually I was spoiled because my first experiences flying were on Midwest Express so I thought that is just how flying was with every carrier.

A question for this thread: I see a lot of threads in the forums about not having enough PIC time in type, not having the right type ratings, not enough turbine time, etc. Those who are close to me who are pilots (I have close friends and family who are wide body Capts at Fedex, A320 FO at Jetblue, a PIC at Cirrus Aviation, a 717 FO at Delta) say that if you get to 1500, you'll be able to get hired at a regional, maybe a longshot to go straight to a major. This seems conflicting? I don't know exactly how it is going to play out for me, not sure where I'm going to want to be in a year or two when I am consistently racking up hours. Definitely not ruling out regional/major though, if they are a possibility. Can anyone shed any light on this apparent conflict of information?
It's not conflicting, it just applies to different positions/careers. When it comes to "not enough PIC" or "more time in type" "need specific type rating" this is usually geared toward some form of Part 91 or 135 jobs (charter, corporate, fractional, cargo). If looking at a regional airline, the goal is 1500 hrs and you're pretty much qualified to start there. (there are other requirements that need to be met, tho). Going straight to a major is not going to happen at 1500hrs. If you are part of a program, or maybe pay to complete your ATP Written, then getting to a place like Spirit or Sun Country is a possibility but certainly not Southwest, Alaska, or Legacy.

It appears you are looking to begin your flight training. For now, concentrate on how you will work to obtain your Private Pilot License, Instrument Rating, Commercial Pilot License. Along the way, you'll slowly learn more information about which route you might be looking to take. Most choose to become a Flight Instructor and use that to build the required hours to meet minimums for a Part 135 job or a regional airline. "Entry" jobs will not require turbine time or a type rating. However, more established ones will and that's where you'll hear those things about not having enough time in type or PIC time.