View Single Post
Old 07-29-2023, 08:13 AM
CX500T
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: NYC 7ERA

Goggles is pretty right on with that. Walkable and affordable with acceptably low crime levels aren't easy or cheap to come by in US. Being reliant on public transit is going to really limit you.

I'm married to a VERY Jewish woman. Think Fran Drescher with a bit of attitude from Marissa Tomei's character from My Cousin Vinny. Very NOO YAWKISh. I got into it one day with an agent in LGA who got all NooYAWKER in my face and went "you don't scare me, my wife is from Queens" and then it turned out the agent with to high school with her.

Casper Wyoming was absolute hell for her.. There were I think a total of 50 Jewish people in a town of 50,000 and she knew them all. Not so much from the "OMG no Jewish Deli" but more in the "you ain't from around here" treatment she got EVERYWHERE. Flip side, upstate NY, her dad's family is in the Catskills, and has no problem with rural areas.

Just keep in mind there's gonna be a venn diagram of "walkable/airline base/low crime" and those circles are not going to intersect with affordable. Hell, I can't really afford anything decent on Long Island as a 320 Captain. We are looking in NE PA, Rural NJ and Upstate NY. Of course interest rates have gone bat-crazy without prices coming down, so we are kind of waiting it out in Virginia but we had planned to move back up after I retired from the reserves.