Thread: Career change?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2023, 06:24 PM
Concorde001
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: Desk

Originally Posted by Jmcgibbon View Post
I started flight training 18 months ago and did it P/T while maintaining my 9-5 city job that I’ve been at for 16 years. Bought into a career pilot in ____ months pitch by a flight school and financed it. Came up short on ratings due to a slew of issues. Some on my side, most on their side. Still, I do hold a commercial certificate with instrument and will be starting CFI Academy at a different school. Working FT and flight training will cause it to take longer and cost more but it’s doable. I’m not there yet, not even close, but at only 270 hrs and all of 49 years old I already have a CJO for a ULCC. Hoping to have CFI/I in the next couple months and start building hours. If I can build at a reasonable pace there’s a FO job waiting for me. Nothing in aviation is for sure and you always have to select an alternate regardless of what your plan A wx looks like. Good luck!!
270 hours and already a CJO from a ULCC? How is that even possible? Are they doing this for their cadet students?
Considering a come back after 8 years. I left a regional with about 150 hours of CRJ back in the $25 /hour days. So I cold have a shot at an ULCC? Regionals are not hiring and would rather skip them if possible.