Old 04-19-2008, 06:51 AM
MalteseX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: DA-40

Originally Posted by beis77 View Post
I'm getting out in a little less than a year and just finished the TAP classes on resume building/ interviewing. I searched on here for sample airline resumes and downloaded the sample mil- airline resume.

My question for those of you mil types that have successfully made the transition... how did you go about showcasing your military experience? The example resume on this site mentions military time, but really doesn't highlight any of the qualities we bring to the table.

I'm just wondering if an airline only wants to see the simple "hours and qualifications" breakdown as is posted in the example, or if they wouldn't mind a few bullets highlighting our true "military" experience, i.e. highly adaptable under pressure (cite combat sorties, etc.), leadership, teambuilding, etc.

I know we can highlight these in an interview; my concern is getting the interview, as some of us will have 1/2 to 1/3 of the hours of our civilian counterparts when we get out.

I'm just looking for ways to make a resume stand out amongst the crowd; especially in light of where the industry is headed. Any inputs on your resume building experience would be greatly appreciated! thanks, and fly safe;

-Sheimer
I take it you want to go to a major airline. The folks there are used to seeing many, many guys that come from the military. They know the times vs. years since you got out, etc. You just need to convert terms such as ADO to Assistant Director of Operations; Stan/Eval to Check Airman etc. There are many internet/books out there to do these conversions. You will stack up very well against civilians who have 4000 hours. They will not have had the IP, ADO, Stan/Eval, Tactics, leadership crap, schools, training, emergencies, getting shot at, safety officer, investigator, publisher of regs and OIs, etc. ----all that crap you did that they didn't do while merely line flying. Very few civilian guys that have those kind of hours have done all of that. Just highlight that very briefly on your resume (each job); convert your flight hours; highlight your awards and other accomplishments; highlight instructor, academic instructor, check airmen and safety officer jobs--and you'll be right in there with 2000 hours at 10 years or so.
P.S. Throw in T.S. Clearance if you have a current one. Lets them know from a stack of 10,000 apps that you'll pass a background check......