View Single Post
Old 08-19-2023, 04:55 PM
MedSledDriver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Default a weird transition

the situation: I'm currently working as a dispatcher at a LCC while on unpaid medical leave from a regional airline where i worked as a pilot. I got my dispatcher certificate because I wanted to keep my head in the game, so to speak, while i was waiting for my medical to clear. I'm nearly 2 years out of currency but have some part 121 PIC time and 2 types. I just got my medical certificate back. I need to make a decision and I'm inclined to make the most ethical one even if, at least for the first 2 years, its the less lucrative choice.

Option 1; go back to my regional where I would have seniority, hold a line, fly as PIC in the E175, and make a lot more money. I would leave the LCC.

Option 2; accept a class date at my current employer, get an airbus type and take a big pay cut to live in random crew bases that few other airlines fly to. I would leave the regional.

Option 3; apply to other airlines that I would ultimately want to go (the big 3 legacies and WN) despite not being current.

I understand that the industry hiring trend that legacies follow seem to favor pilots with narrow body types from LCCs more than the classic 1000 hour PIC regional captains. With that in mind it makes the choice fairly easy, but letting go of a $160k/yr job for a $56k/year job flying an Airbus is a hard pill to swallow. There is also the risk of getting stuck in regional airline purgatory waiting for the call from the dream job that may never come. My regional does have a kind of "flow through agreement" with its parent company that I would be eligible for but its not exactly the most desirable long-term plan.

what would be the best path forward from here to a legacy carrier?

3600 TT
1400 turbine (mostly turboprop)
200 part 121 PIC
only 1 checkride failure (121 recurrent)
no degree.
no DUIs
below age 40

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited by MedSledDriver; 08-19-2023 at 04:59 PM. Reason: i decided to not make it a poll. thats all