View Single Post
Old 08-22-2023, 02:51 PM
flysnoopy76
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by thaddiusMbuggs View Post
Does anyone else think the fact Alaska, to my knowledge, who for some absolutely unknown reason has disabled RA call-outs on their jets could have possibly prevented this if they had those calls and it was indeed a hard landing that caused this? Boggles my mind you guys don’t have this. Seems to be standard on every other passenger jet on earth. Hell even the clapped out old CRJ I used to fly had it.

I sure as heck find it helpful to hear the cadence of 50,40,30…and find the situational awareness it provides priceless. If I’m coming in a bit hot and heavy at night or poor visibility and those call-outs start speeding up I am immediately aware something needs to be adjusted.

Again, I’m not saying this would have prevented this incident but seems insane to purposely have it disabled when it can help prevent such things and provide a huge increase in situational awareness.
Great point, not saying it’s the reason this happened, but totally agree it’s absurd we don’t have it. I’ve heard several excuses why we don’t, ranging from simply “we don’t need it” to it would mess with autolands, or “well you can see the RA in the HUD”. It’s probably because it would cost a couple dollars per plane to turn it on.