Thread: Early Survey Results

Merle Haggard , 08-25-2023 06:32 AM
Aspiring PSA Captain
Merle Haggard
Aspiring PSA Captain
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2020
Quote: Valid. Saying the F choice is a bad idea from a PR or optics perspective is another discussion. I’m certainly not saying I think they should furlough.
Merle and others are trying to make the argument that FedEx is profitable and therefore has no reason to furlough. That makes no sense. All I’m saying is that there is no specific correlation there. If we are overmanned (not necessarily accepting that premise), then those profits can still be made without the extra pilots which saves on overall costs. Of course there are a lot more factors involved in making that decision and costs associated with bringing those pilots back if and when they return.
There's a little thing called corporate ethics that seems to have been completely lost - they used to teach it in business schools. Apparently ethics aren't part of your calculus on this issue.

PEOPLE SERVICE PROFIT. We didn't create that slogan - FDX management did. Furlough a few hundred and save a few million or treat the bottom few hundred well and secure loyal 30-40 year employees. That is also a business decision that can be profitable - it just requires vision that extends beyond the next quarterly earnings call.

Ask any WN employee how things have gone since they stopped concerning themselves with treating their employees well.