Thread: Benefits of paying for ATP-CTP

Njflyguy , 08-25-2023 01:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off
Njflyguy
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Apr 2023
Quote: I am unsure how many regionals, exactly, are currently involved in this practice. Those that I know personally, who were given the 1099, said they did try to research a way around it and were unable to locate any proper way. But, keep in mind, these are younger regional FO's that do not necessarily have access to high dollar CPA's,
YMMV
A quick check of the IRS web site, which would be the ultimate authority if you can decipher it, would yield an answer of "NO". The ATP-CTP costs imputed to you (or borne out of pocket if not employer imputed) are not deductible because the training is in order for you to meet a minimum job requirement.
https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc513

There's a link in that IRS page to plug in the scenario, to which it comes back with a big 'no'.

One exception would be if one were self employed, contracting as a pilot to a charter. If that contracting pilot operated under a self employment business setup(like an LLC), then any related costs towards aviation expenses - in including training of any type - would likely be deductible as business expenses to the contractor's entity. This doesn't apply though to regular W2 employees of an airline so I digressed a bit.