View Single Post
Old 09-03-2023, 12:00 PM
Av8rinchina
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Exclamation JSX is a scheduled airline

The FAA is asking for comments and this is my comment:

The new rules that were implemented in the wake of the Colgan flight 3407 crash were determined by the FAA to improve the safety of the flying public.
My first question is: Are passengers that would normally fly on a part 121 Regulated Airline less safe flying on JSX Airlines?
My answer is: Yes, if the new rules in the wake of the Colgan crash were indeed determined to make the flying public safer, a passenger on a JSX flight is less safe because they are flying under the old and less restrictive rules.

JSX operates the EMB145 under part 135 rules, this is an airplane that has been operated under part 121 for decades. The only difference that allows JSX to operate the same airplane with far less experienced pilots and far less restrictive rules is that it carries 30 passengers whereas part 121 operators can carry 50 passengers.

My second question: Since when did the number of passenger seats onboard an aircraft have any impact on the safety of flight?
My answer: It doesn't and it would be absurd to claim otherwise.

My conclusion: The FAA will lose all credibility in the eyes of the flying public, and the industry as a whole, if they continue to allow scheduled airlines like JSX to operate with the same type of airplane, flying scheduled flights, under far less restrictive rules, with far less experienced pilots than the competition. The FAA determined that the old rules were significant factors contributing to numerous aircraft disasters in the past. It would be absurd to let JSX continue to operate under the old and less restrictive rules simply based on the number of passenger seats installed in the back of their aircraft.