Thread: RAA Question
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
DutchmanAZ

Default RAA Question

I have a nephew living with me who is going to RAA. Needless to say, he's not happy about it. His folks signed him up for their fixed price program (whatever that is) to the tune of 60K.
He's extremely frustrated with how he's being treated and the costs to this point. He's spent ~13k sincd Jan 06 and is on the 2nd level of getting his private. He failed a flight test because his previous instructor did not teach him how to read a map fully, calculate load, takeoff, and landing distances, etc. He's flown a lot with his original instructor, but didn't seem to get taught what he needed to know.
I'm concerned about the possible conflict of intrest here with the instructor. It seems to me it would be very easy for a flight instructor to be more worried about racking up flight hours rather than making sure the student is being taught right..not saying this is happening, but it makes me wonder.

Has anybody gone through this, or something like it? I read his contract, and it appears that if he withdraws, he'll lose 50 % of the 60K he's obligated for...

He still wants to fly, just not with RAA. I'd appreciate any ideas or other viewpoints.