Thread: RAA Question
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 04:21 PM
CL65driver
CA

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: I am the Captain now...

Hi Dutchman.... sorry to hear about your Nephew.

I went through RAA's FOS program last July. I'm not sure about their initial training, but their advanced training programs are pretty good. If it's anything like Sierra Academy (the sorry excuse of a school where I did my instrument thru commercial multi), the instructors are just in it to get the minimum hours and move on. It's pretty sad nowadays.

IMHO, he might want to do his initial training at an FBO. A lot of them are pay as you go, and he might end up spending a whole lot less than he did at RAA. Not to say RAA is a bad place or anything. Their CRJ program is pretty good (still waiting to get hired... but got an interview next week!!! keep yer fingers crossed!), gotta give them that. But have him explore the world of FBOs and flying clubs, they've got some pretty good deals out there.

In the end, airlines really don't care if you did your training at RAA or an FBO. A Seminole is a Seminole is a Seminole, but why pay $200/hr when you can pay $130/hr? The planes fly the same at both places. It's just that FBOs give your more bang for your buck.

Good luck with it all!!!