View Single Post
Old 09-28-2023, 05:06 AM
ahardin
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2023

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
Guessing there are plenty of guys with 3k-5k hours (1k-2k+ TPIC), at regionals waiting on majors to call. Drop the degree requirement (likely won't be one at Moxy) and that opens a door for guys with no degree who are otherwise qualified. I've never seen any "start-up airline pilot minimums" in any FAA rules, and I'd venture to say that a current 121 captain, who has an FAA ATP, and who passes an FAA type ride in the C Series, is qualified in the FAA's eyes to act as a captain at a pt 121 airline, start-up or otherwise. I'd also venture to guess that Neeleman will pay Moxy CAs more than any regional will pay their CAs. If I was at a regional waiting for a major to call, I would possibly gamble with a start up while waiting, depending on the pay/benefits/bases/etc. The seniority, pay, and career expectations likely exceed that of any regional, with the exception of a guy having a possible near-term flow. And for the guys going straight to the left seat of Moxy, waiting for a big 6 to call, to then go be an FO again, may not be appealing. For guys in their first year at a regional, they could go be early FOs at Moxy with a potential quick upgrade, and make probably more money than they are making at said regional in either seat.

Guess we will see in a couple years how it plays out.
I think this is a good observation actually. I meet the profile you're describing, except that I have 2 aviation degrees and prior military. I came back in as direct entry after being out for 10yrs. I'm a regional direct entry Captain on step 10 payscale, 47 yrs old and am seriously considering breeze. I'm a few weeks from check airman so the money will be good but there's big problems with attrition and company not doing right to pilots - like alot. I live in CLT and could get down to CHS pretty easily. The problem right now for guys like myself is that American is playing games and not hiring us outside the flow usually so it's not appealing to stay here for another 4yrs to flow. Additionally, you gotta go be an FO at American or other legacy or low cost, so the money isn't there. Breeze Direct Entry Captain position with "nice" aircraft and pretty high chance of success based on historical success of Neeleman. I think their pay is pretty good as well (mostly better than regional). It might be worth taking a chance to be on the top end of the seniority list. Gotta give back a little bonus $$ but could still be worth it. I'm all ears if I'm not thinking about this right. Seems like a good gamble to me though. Obviously, any startup has risks so I get that.