View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by jousteagle View Post
I'm fairly ignorant about Reserve retirement, but I thought that if he were to spend the last two years doing the "one weekend a month, two weeks a year" gig, that would give one year's credit towards 20 years. Granted your number of points wouldn't increase drastically. I don't think you need to reach 7200 points to get a reserve retirement. I think you'd still get a reserve retirement at age 60 (payment determined by their formula and based on the number of points you acquired) as long as you got 20 years of service. Couldn't the last two years of service be the "one weekend a month, two weeks a year" type of gig?

Somebody in the know please chime in!
You are correct in that his last two years of reserve would count towards the 20 required for a reserve retirement...he would have his twenty after two years.

HOWEVER...there is ALSO a requirement that your last 6 years prior to retirement be spent in the reserve component, as opposed to regular AD. If you don't meet this, no reserve retirement will be granted. Is it fair? Not really, but the reserve organizations don't want to pay a (large) reserve retirement for senior AD folks who bail at the end. It's an organizational finance issue...the RC doesn't get enough work out of you in two years to justify footing your bill at age 60.

This applies to navy for sure, but I'm pretty sure all the federal components have the same rule (federal law). The state guards might have a different policy...probably worth checking on that.

This is obviously a big deal, and worth getting right. I would contact the applicable reserve officer association...those guys always know these kinds of answers.