View Single Post
Old 11-04-2023, 04:43 PM
Mooose
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2022
Default Military Conversion Times for R-ATP?

Yup, another question about converting military time. But this is a unique one, I promise.

We know you qualify for an R-ATP at 750 hours if you went through a military flight program. However, 100 hours of this total can be in a simulator, per 61.159:

"Not more than 100 hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements of paragraph (a) of this section or § 61.160 may be obtained in a full flight simulator or flight training device provided the device represents an airplane and the aeronautical experience was accomplished as part of an approved training course in parts 121, 135, 141, or 142 of this chapter. "

It's important to note that the military simulators do not count towards this, but simulators from FSI and CAE do. So, as a military aviator, you can technically qualify for an R-ATP at 650 flight hours, right?

But wait, we can go even lower. Many employers allow for a conversion adjustment of military time to civilian. Some allow for 0.3, 0.2, or 0.1 per sortie, and others multiply your military time by 1.3.

So here's my question: If you're below the 750 hour requirement (650 flight + 100 sim hours), can you still get an R-ATP on your own? Or can you only do it through companies that convert your time a certain way? For example, if I add 0.3 for every military sortie or multiply my military flight time by 1.3, I'm able to reach the 750 requirement. However if I only add 0.2 or 0.1 for every military sortie, I don't meet the 750 number. If I were to pursue my R-ATP on my own dime, would the examiner reviewing my hours be okay with converting my military time a certain way?