View Single Post
Old 11-05-2023, 11:43 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by e6bpilot View Post
Clear as mud? This is why there is a logbook review in any sort of interview. There are people who will cheat or do dumb stuff. Don't be that guy. Adding .2 or .3 to each line in your logbook isn't cheating or being dumb.
I would argue that if you log your time along the way, FAA style, that's 100% defensible.

Adding something to each sortie after the fact is reasonable, assuming your plus up value makes sense wrt to how ops were conducted at the time of the sortie (could vary between platforms and bases). But while it's reasonable, I'm not sure it's 100% defensible from a regulatory perspective... regs say you need X aeronautical experience, logged, and there is no provision for "estimated" time. Now we all tend to estimate our IMC time, never met anyone who hacks a stopwatch in and out of clouds. But the FAA's not up there with us hacking any timers either. In the case of mil total time there is an objective baseline record.

Since it's not written anywhere, it could come down to a personality-driven interpretation. As I mentioned before, if the wrong person decides you did something fraudulent, your tickets are gone. FAA admin law is guilty whenever they say you are, you're welcome to try a lengthy appeal process which rarely comes down on the side of the pilot. Flying is a privilege, you have very few rights.

If you can confirm that a specific airline does it this way, ie people are filling out 8710's and their CMO and APD's are issuing ATP's and type ratings that should be safe enough. But be certain. And don't assume that applies to other airlines without confirmation.