View Single Post
Old 11-05-2023, 04:14 PM
Spade
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Post Random DEC questions

I’m qualified for DEC and live near a junior base. After seeing a new contract get approved and the no contract bonus structure, I’m seriously considering Air Whisky. Can anyone shed light on the following random questions/thoughts?
  • How many long call/short call/airport reserve shifts should I expect? Are they 12hrs/2hrs/15 min or something similar for report time?
  • Are there time slots for reserve that go junior (like 0500 starts, etc)?
  • How many legs per day are average? 4?
  • How many years of longevity equate to how many weeks vacation? The web only says “up to 35 days…”
  • If I rode jumpseat with AW guys for a week, what would everyone be complaining about?
  • What’s training pay for the 2-3 months while I’d be getting qualified?
  • Is there a minimum for hours/days that you can’t drop below per month? I’d assume it’s all dependent on having coverage, which is likely nil for CAs from what I’m reading elsewhere, but just curious if there’s a min contractually.
  • Is Line Check Airman pay decent if I ever went that route?
  • In a previous life, there were tactics where you pick up premium flying and then got the next reserve day off - are there similar ways to max perform pay for a bottom of the list guy? I get it that all things hinge on seniority, and a DEC would stay low seniority forever due to FO upgrades, so tactics that a junior guy could actually achieve seem like the most applicable if they exist?
  • How much turnover/attrition is happening lately? Seems like it’s got to be pretty extreme considering the bonuses being offered?!

Thanks for your time!!