Thread: Core HDHP + HSA
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2023, 07:25 AM
L8Z8
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2023

Originally Posted by glassnpowder98 View Post
It’s a great option if you and your family are healthy and don’t make many trips to the doctor. My wife and I are on it and have fortunately been pretty healthy. I do feel like the 95% covered claim is a bit misleading though. I’m not going to claim to have much knowledge of how the black magic of insurance works, but in our experience, my wife’s two trips to the doctor this year amounted to $1800 “billed”. Through “discounts and reductions” the total we paid out of pocket was just under $500 which goes towards the deductible and max out of pocket. When you hit those thresholds then insurance starts paying the bills. It’s basically impossible to figure out how much each trip is going to cost, but in my experience in years past (under a different plan) an overnight stay in the ER will get you pretty close to maxing out your out of pocket.

So depending on how old your kids are and if they’re constantly getting sick or breaking limbs, it might not be the best option or you’ll be hitting the max out of pocket every year. My plan is to stick with the Core HDHP until I can put enough money away that will hopefully grow to pay for someone to change my diapers when I’m old, but switch to something with less out of pocket exposure when I’m a little older and more susceptible to health issues.
Thanks for the info. I think most of our doctor visits are typical for a family. Kids get sick. Stuff happens. I’m thinking even if we are in a worst case scenario and hit the max OOP due to unforeseen medical care we’ll still come out in the longterm. It’s just a matter of if we want to cashflow what could get expensive to gain the triple tax benefit of the HSA and use of it in retirement. Annually (and worst case) it’s $7,008 premium + $6,000 max OOP + $6,300 HSA contribution = $19,808.