Old 11-26-2023, 05:40 PM
Beech Dude
Speed Verified

Joined APC: Sep 2017

[QUOTE=txpilot86;3727343]Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

I have my interview next week and was hoping to gain a bit of knowledge about life as a pilot at AA beforehand.

1. How flexible are the schedules?
Flexibility is there. Sometimes easy, sometimes not. Our system, TTS, is still problematic although items from our new contract are coming that are supposed to help it.
-How easy is it to pick up trips?
Easy. If you're a lineholder, have the legal limits and days off, pickup whatever you want.
-Can you try and stack your trips to maximize time off in the middle of the month?
Yes. Everyone works this to what they need. Getting runs of days off between months is a a bit more challenging as a junior lineholder, but if you stay reserve and get senior, it's much more doable.
-Can you trade trips?
Yes. Pilot to Pilot trades or "trade" with TTS. Which is your trip drops into open time and you get a trip you asked for. Much issue here in the flexibility department. Want to trade a 3-day for a 3-day that has more legs but signs in a day later so you can get off a day for your kids appt? Denied. Trips pretty much have to be the same length over the same days, just my experience.
-Can you give away trips?
Yes. You can post your trips to Drop them and another pilot can see your posted trip and take it.

2. How is it commuting on Reserve?
I Don't commute but our reserve rules are the best. Others can chime in on specifics.
-How is the utilization on Reserve?
Seasonal and you can expect to fly. High summer, less fall/winter. LC you will get used with the way our system works, SC obviously not as much. It's base dependent and time of year as stated previously.
-Can you pick up/trade trips that are during your reserve block so you know you are flying instead of sitting?
No. New contract will have new reserve rules, but trip trading isnt going to be a thing IIRC. Trading days off Yes, but not trips. You can see the list of open trips and can proffer (rank your trips top choice to bottom) to get a pick.of what you want. Awarded based on seniority, assigned in reverse seniority. If you want to fly, bid LC.
-If a commuter on Long Call, is it safe to sit at home and wait to get the call? (I live in the DFW area)
Yes. Mostly for your first day on. But if you're commuting to reserve hotel or crash pad will be a must eventually. Being close to the mothership will be great for frequency for you. Again, our commuter rules are the best and you'll probably only be on reserve for 6 months anyway.

3. How long before one can hold DFW?
I'd plan two of our vacancy runs, which is when guys bid for new equipment and bases. They're run quarterly. If you don't get DFW in your drop (alot are probably coming for the next few months, based off our last vacancy #s) you'll be back to DFW in less than a year.
-How long to hold a line at DFW?
​​​​​Junior LH is a Feb 2023 hire.

4. I've heard that a little under 2 years can be awarded Captain... but how awful will that schedule be?
Yes. Junior CA is under 2 years on property.
-I know it'd likely be a commute to reserve for a good bit, but how long and how bad?
Unknown. Too many variables, but I'd plan on being on SC reserve, weekends and holidays for at least the first 5 years. Who knows what the future holds and if you take first available upgrade, you will rise and fall as senior guys bid in and bump you down. But that's small potatoes when you could be looking at 20+ years in the left seat depending on your age.

Good luck.