View Single Post
Old 12-06-2023, 10:19 AM
MaxQ
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009

Originally Posted by SonicFlyer View Post
I really don't know why anyone healthy would subject themselves to getting the COVID vax. Pure idiocy.
The reason people get vaccinated for any virus is to reduce the chances of getting said virus. Or if one does get infected, so as to already have a leg up with their immune system.
I did not contract polio. An older sister did prior to vaccination being available did.
If I see someone with a pockmarked face I assume adolescent acne. Smallpox doesn't even enter my mind.
Did you grow up in a society free of polio and smallpox? How did that come to be so?

When COVID first appeared on the scene your chances of dying from it (if infected) ran about 5 to 7percent. After a relatively short while, if you caught it you ran about a 2% chance of dying. (I am ignoring contributing factors such as age, pre-conditions, etc). By the time vaccines had been available in the USA for a few months (it's roll-out was well managed) total deaths fell sharply (don't remember the numbers) and your chance of dying from it, if you contracted it, fell to below 1%.

I know of at least one scientist who posited that without the anti-vax campaign enough of the population would have gotten vaccinated to essentially make COVID 19 history. Instead it is still around and can still kill.
I lack the knowledge to say that he (she?) is correct, but based on our success with past vaccinations I find the assertion plausible.

Since medical treatment became politicized by Dunning & Kruger Inc. it is almost impossible for the un-trained to assert pure idiocy.