View Single Post
Old 12-18-2023, 03:44 PM
spooldup
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2021
Position: Joystick Operator

Originally Posted by TOGALOCK View Post
Yes. The pay was that bad prior to the last contract. We made the largest percentage gains in ALPA history and STILL didn’t make it to the previous legacy rates (prior to the current new round of contracts).

So I’m going to toss your words back to you. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but…

You are still very junior at F9, haven’t been through what many of the senior people have who are throwing words of caution. You’re currently living in your own world of nirvana. You see that the rest of the house is burning around you, but since you’re personal room (ATL FO) isn’t on fire, how bad can it really be?

It’s great that you’re happy. I was too for a long time. Seeing your posts is like looking at my own years ago. Unfortunately, the current F9 isn’t the F9 that I started at nearly 7 years ago. I witnessed cost being cut, operations decline, things become “too expensive” which leads to more cutting instead of fixing the source of the problem (don’t worry. They’re just trying to see how far they can squeeze the operation. They’ll eventually back off a bit.. right? Wrong. The squeezing just continues, but it feels good to say it, right?), my base got closed, constant displacements. It’s all fine until it happens to you.

You would be well served to listen to those that have gone before you. You seem to still be on a new hire high. I’m not saying that you should run for the exit, but listen to those that have gone the same road that you are. Just like parents, we know what you don’t because we’ve already been there and done that.

Im not saying that F9 is a bad place to be stuck. It’s way better than any regional. But you need to stop insulting those that have walked before you. Mouth open less. Ears open more.
I have been listening a lot, and to MANY displaced CHI guys, which I understand. I have definitely been torn on what to even consider doing with my career. I know things change in this industry and they can change quick.

and just fyi, I dont really think I still consider myself in that "newhire high" phase, I have weighed a lot of options and talked to my wife, we figured with our current situation, it is best to sit tight and ride out the good QOL and stuff while we can with our baby/s.

(I hope I make the right decision, but I will never know until I retire)