View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 11:49 AM
ERAU1978grad
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Embry-Riddle wrecked me finincially and turned me into a bitter old S.*.B.

>> Already a private pilot w/o any additional ratings -just VFR PPL.
>> My great aspiration is indeed to go into the airline pilot buz.
>> The truth of the matter is I don't know how to better go about
>> finding the "optimal" training path. Some time has past since I was
>> 18 years (+++...) but have a VERY strong science background
>> (PhD in applied physics+work experience in aerospace R&D) my dream is still alive.

Obviously with a PhD in Applied Physics you have an IQ above 130. If you go into aiviation, you will be surrounded by people with IQ's of 100. You will be way out of your element and surrounded by people you won't be able to communicate with. I cannot emphasize the importance of sticking with your chosen career path in order to maintain financial security. You will not be able to find a job as an airline pilot. In order to scratch your aviation itch you should start by picking up additional flight ratings. Start with gliders and then try seaplanes. If you feel crazy, go to an aerobatics school. Hot air balloons are cool too! There is a lot to learn and you presently have the financial resources to take advantage of it.

>> would ever an airliner hire someone approaching 40s with no
>> prior airliner experience? Alternatively, what are the
>> prospects for Buz-Jet aviation?

No. Airlines look at pilots like they look at machinery. Airlines spend a LOT of money training a pilot. It is an investment and they want to get all of that money back by working that pilot as many years as they can. In order to do so, they have to hire you when you are 25 so that you will work for 35 years. If you start now, you will be 45 when you might possible be hired by a regional airline. If you ever qualify for a major airline, you might possibly do that by age 50. That means you have 10 years to fly until mandatory retirement. There is no major air carrier that wil hire you because of that.

As far as corporate- the big problem you have here concerns insurance. Most corporate flight departments carry insurance mandating that their pilots in command to have something like 3,000 total time and 1000 hours in turbine. You need to figure out how you are going to get this experience.

Last edited by ERAU1978grad; 06-04-2006 at 05:49 PM.