View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 AM
DanC
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2008

hotbwayjoel, I understand your feelings of being disappointed, but everybody gets lost in their flying career. As a new CFI/II I sometimes find myself starting to lose situational awareness once and a while. I probably have over 400 more hours than you, too. I actually have learned a lot from these situations and it has bettered my flying skills. Everybody gets lost just remember your training and it wont become an unsafe situation.

Furthermore, I rather have a student get lost any day then have a near mid air collision. Training is meant to be a learning process. Next time you will be able to recognize more quickly when you are becoming lost (and trust me you will).

So don't let this discourage you from getting your PPL. Just take it as a lesson to be vigilant and study all the information you can.

(It SO easy to land at the wrong airport in Florida with an airport almost every 10 NMs and all the runways lined up the same direction mostly. If I remember right a commercial A/C did it in Miami Area)