Thread: Best Credit Card for UA Pilot

ThumbsUp , 01-06-2024 10:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off
ThumbsUp
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2018
Quote: I've been thinking about this a lot. I've got the Amex Gold and have racked up quite a lot of points but I feel I'd get more benefit from other cards. I was thinking of going with some combo of Hilton and Marriott cards as that's where most of our stays are. Then I could get free breakfast most of the time and work towards some free hotel stays. Flying non-rev, I don't see any benefit with the Amex Platinam and other cards that offer Priority Pass are useless as the lounges are not in the UA terminals.

Personally I feel that if I've got time to go to the lounge, then I'm arriving at the airport too early and if I need access, I can just buy it at the airport.

I might start with the Hilton Surpass card as it covers most of my major spending categories.
Not all priority pass memberships are created equal. Chase Sappire Reserve, Chase Ritz Carlton and (I think) Capital One Venture X include dining ($28 pp & 1 guest). Many of our hubs (in our terminals/concourses) have the restaurants on the list. I use it to get to-go food on turns or eat in restaurant if it's a longer one. $56 goes a long way and adds up. If you want to go the Marriott Route, Chase's Marriott offering will allow you to upgrade to the Ritz Carlton card after a year which includes the priority pass restaurant offerings as well, plus an additional card member is free. That's huge if you travel with your family as 4 people can dine for free. Unfortunately you can't apply for the Ritz Carlton card directly any longer, only upgrade from a lesser product after 1 year.

Here is a recent list of the restaurants in the program:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/priori...restaurant-us/