View Single Post
Old 01-06-2024, 07:09 PM
Bill80
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2023

Originally Posted by kwri10s View Post
Again, please give me a reference that says if the employee group agrees to lower their benefit it cannot be reduced. I agree the company cannot reduce your benefits. However, the split retirement concern is whether the majority of the pilots who don't have an A plan can lower the A plan benefits if those that still have it, in order to increase their cash balance or B fund later. In a TA years from now. Is it possible or not? Reference please.
The anti cutback rule I quoted literally says you can’t have your accrued benefits reduced by an amendment to a plan. It doesn't matter if the union agreed to it or not, it’s an amendment. We’re talking about benefits protected by federal law. The union could only agree to reduce the accrual of FUTURE benefits. Which even then, that is unlikely, because it’s not fair to reduce one groups benefits for another.

At this point I don’t think you’re legitimately asking. You’re just being obtuse and demanding a reference from me, which I provided, that is not good enough for you.

Why don’t you reach out to an ERISA attorney, and ask your question? I suspect you’d refuse to believe them anyway because it conflicts with your view of reality.

We spent most of our negotiating capital in TA1 raising the pension. And you now think in the follow on contract we’re going to negotiate that away, as if that’s allowed by law?

If you wanted a pension increase, you got it. Take the win, man. It doesn’t happen without splitting the retirement. And your benefits are protected. Talk to an attorney before you spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt about retirement plans.

Last edited by Bill80; 01-06-2024 at 07:34 PM.