Gets Weekends Off
notEnuf
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2015
  • Position
    stake holder ir.delta.com
Quote: I thought we were discussing ETOPS in general.

I would try to stay as high as possible to avoid icing conditions. If lower keeps me clear then so be it. If no icing then my priority is max groundspeed to the most suitable alternate, this would require an analysis of winds vs altitude.
I understand what you are saying. My point is that ETOPS doesn't apply to routes that aren't dispatched as ETOPS flights. The discussion gets muddied when we talk ETOPS on non-ETOPS operations. It is completely a dispatch function based on route selection and aircraft capabilities. Once the airplane is in the air none of it matters. Sure you should try to stay within the ETOPS limits if you can ON AN ETOPS FLIGHT, but things can change and a dispatcher banging away on a computer doesn't change the reality of the flight. Similarly for a normal flight plan, dispatch can provide information but can't change weather via keystrokes. Non-ETOS, WATRS, ops have no circle requirements. We teach as if everything is ETOPS and for standardization use those techniques but the real answer for me is: Have a place to go if the stuff hits the fan and use your judgement to ensure a safe operating margin. My lower single engine cruise altitude as an example, I see max altitude stall single engine and control effectiveness as a greater threat to the situation (which has real world evidence of occuring) than possible icing. I'm not saying any techique is wrong but I not blindly following generic guidance that was developed for standardization. Nuance matters. BTW, I have for a long time advocated for immediate action cards instead of memory items for obvious reasons, but corprate inertia...