View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 AM
Lori Clark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Aviation Consultant

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Thanks for taking the time to answer this question and I appreciate your position. It would appear well advised for HR departments to generally leave psychology tests to those who know a lot about them rather than risk getting erroneous results.

My present company administers an online DISC assessment. I was amazed how far off the results seemed to me. The counselor explained one has to be in a "work frame of mind" to obtain accurate results. But how many of us is in such a frame of mind say first thing Monday morning, last thing Friday afternoon, or any number of times during the average day? In our case the test is not used for much besides helping managers know the staff. I tend to agree though, it would be best left to licensed psychologists instead of human resources personnel or untrained personnel. It would be a shame if a person were misidentified because of a poorly administered test.

Thanks again.
I find this very interesting and completely agree. I certainly see where these types of tests can be very useful for determining say, "who is the right person for a particular task among a given set of employees," because past work performance (with the current company) and the manager's knowledge the employee's "work personality" coupled with the test results can be edifying. But without the "whole picture" these tests can be very misleading for candidate evaluation.

Thank you for sharing your perspective and how your company views these types of tests.

Lori