Prime Minister/Moderator
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator
close
  • Joined APC
    Jan 2006
  • Position
    Engines Turn Or People Swim
Quote: If he smoked a joint, he has already shown he believes he can decide when to comply with laws or rules. Marijuana is still illegal on a Federal level, despite any municipality's or state's attempt to make it legal for medical purposes.

Since he has shown a disregard for civil law, do you think he would be more or less inclined to obey FARs? The use of illegal drugs is a violation of FARs.

On the other hand, alcohol use is condoned if you avoid all use within 12 hours and are sober at the time of duty.

I don't want anybody in my cockpit who thinks he can decide when to be FAR-compliant. That is alcohol, illegal drugs, over-the-counter, or lack of sleep.

It's eight hours actually.

Marijuana is not a big deal. Lots of things are illegal...spitting on the sidewalk, speeding, parking after the meter runs out, and oral sex in many states.

Are you telling that you've never done ANY of those things?

If you're going to judge someone on youthful indiscretions, you need to look at whether any harm was done to others, and the societal context of the act...society in general is actually OK with occasional dope smoking (or maybe you hadn't heard).

Once you enter a new society, like military or avaition, then the context changes. I admittedly would have no sympathy for a drug abuser who is an active professional pilot.