Thread: You know what grinds my gears....

BlueSkies , 01-18-2024 05:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off
BlueSkies
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2007
  • Position
    B737 FO
Quote: Just ask. I've had to reach up right away and turn it off because LNAV wasn't permitted off the ground and he didn't read the notes. It's a team effort right? PF sets the mcp. PM backs them up. Even if the PM is hand flying, the PF is supposed to ask for a mode change.
Yeah, not to sound arrogant, but I do read the notes and I verify that LNAV is required. If there is a grey area I'll bring it up. If the PF is actively programming the FMS I will wait but often I see the FMS is done but LNAV is not armed. To me that should be done as soon as you finish programming the FMS. Why leave it off and risk forgetting it so you remember to brief? (Not sure if that is your technique or someone else's)

I get your point about it being a team sport, but does the PF ask for permission to execute an FMS change on the ground before the Preflight Checklist? But seems to bother some so I will start asking the pilots I fly with about this.

As for the flaps and after landing maybe it was just the instructors I had but I was taught that retracting the flaps and doing the After Landing checklist was our last priority and if we took 5 minutes to get to it will so be it. Much more important to not botch our exit and cause a runway incursion.