Old 01-24-2024, 10:27 AM
vetter
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2023

Originally Posted by SnowmanKiller View Post
NK pilot with some questions for the tribal elders.

Spirit will soon be going into bankruptcy restructuring. Now they can't say that but of course, but they will eventually be driven best case into Chapter 11. Of course, my hope is they successfully restructure and life goes on.

But there is a high chance the creditors demand liquidation, and Ch11 becomes Ch7. That is where I need some advice.

My personal situation is that I was former military, and could not air refuel. I racked up several busts trying to do that, and got to do a fun thing called FNAEB where I had the opportunity to explore a future outside of the Navy prematurely.

Now in 2022 I was a regional pilot and went to all the fairs and a few meet the chiefs. My experience at these events showed me that my professional prospects Permanently Circumscribed in this environment. When Spirit liquidates I will be in a much more competitive environment re hiring. I'll have about 3, 3.5k turbine time, three jet types (including A320) but very little PIC. I was close to upgrading here at Spirit but that won't be happening now that we will likely shrink continually until liquidation. So I am making sure to pick up as much flying as possible to maximize my income before liquidation occurs, sometime in 2025 or hopefully as late as 2026.

I always keep one year of expenses saved up for the event of an immediate job loss. Fortunately with this much forewarning I will have built that up to maybe two years or more of interest bearing cash before I am on the street.

I need to think about where I could realistically go when Spirit is liquidated. I am in the process of preparing applications to those B4 airlines I live near, but there are about 2100 captains ahead of me hear who I know will beat me out. Very high probability based on my prior experience with these events I will never receive any interest from these airlines. There are some regionals near me, and if they are still doing DEC programs by the time I am liquidated, they may be worth looking at.

So my question to you is this: Understanding that in this competitive environment that I may/will never solicit B4 interest, would I be competitive enough to go to Atlas/Kalitta/Fractional/Regional DEC, with at most 3.5k turbine ME and maybe 100 hours turbine PIC?

Without knowing those sectors, my plan is to maximize the peak earning years of my life until liquidation, and then finish up the MBA program I am in, and then look for work. Though the market for MBAs is very poor, I should have enough saved up that I could be under/unemployed for awhile without putting my family in distress. Just curious how competitive the other parts of the pilot world are before getting forced out to do something else.

Thanks!
You were supposed to leave NK like.... Yesterday...

Get your seniority number somewhere else, before NK folds