View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 11:18 AM
Sliceback
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Originally Posted by VacancyBid View Post
Generically no

It's not quite the differnence of AAA ball to Major league, but it's close.
Yeah, no one ever quits Major League baseball and chooses AAA instead.

Very, very few people who got trained at the same time in the past said "I'm choosing a regional instead of a major airline." Once you're 40, 50, 60 it might be different. But there's STILL guys quitting their regional job in their early 60's to go fly for a major airline for the last couple of years.

Part of better seniority means you got there sooner/quicker/younger. Add a year to the end of your career and your 401K should increase by an average of at least 5%. Your net worth will increase more like 9%. You'll be earning $350-400K+ as a n/b Captain and $450-500K+ as a w/b Captain. Get hired 3 years earlier and it's $1.0 to 1.5 million PLUS 3 years of 5-8% returns in your 401K for another $300-400K.

That's not counting if you get hired a year, 2, or 3 years younger you'll get summer vacations 1, 2, or 3 years sooner. Able to bid Christmas off at 32? Gues what if you got hired 3 years earlier you'd have held it off at 29. Get hired at 35 vs 38? That might mean the difference between ending your career as a w/b Captain vs never being a w/b Captain.

Seniority matters every single month. It's more noticeable over holidays and bidding for vacations, or switching to a w/b FO job, or upgrading, or upgrading to a w/b Captain job. I did great but guys hired a year ahead of me often made 20% more than I did AND had Christmas off and a summer vacation while I didn't. I had it better than 95%+ of the guys I flew with. The guys hired ahead of me who were younger made out like bandits. What secret sauce did they have? They got hired younger/sooner/quicker which resulted in better seniority. NO ONE WISHES THEY WERE LESS SENIOR. NO ONE.