Thread: AUS Commuters?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 03:33 AM
StayFrosty
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by Ripinpeace View Post
Heya! I’m 24 and am aware senority relative to DL would be better. But, I like to think with possibly 43 years (congress depending) that factor is irrelevant, I was EWR 787 and could’ve held IAH 787 by now. But I kno I don’t wanna live in Houston again; and many UA AUS guys hate the AUS commute cuz u either drive 3 hours or still have to show up to fly for the commute.. Obiv, I’m a DL kool aid drinker, I truly didn’t believe in the UA direction (didn’t feel like I had truly “made it” and didn’t take pride in flying the UA product) and commuting AUS-ATL or NYC to work at a better company for 43 years seems more worth it to me, but time will tell :/
I actually understand how you felt. While twenty years older than you, I left SWA after six years back in June. SWA is a great place, awesome people, made good money but I was just not happy and going thru the motions. I’m lucky to have a very understanding wife and kids who encouraged me to follow a dream. I consider myself fortunate that I was assigned the 737 in the class drop and since hitting the line I’ve held a line and every week I’m laying over in Mexico or Costa Rica and flying with great people. I know layover destinations shouldn’t be an end all but it was important to me and I couldn’t be happier in my new life and enjoy every minute to its fullest. Even my family has noticed a difference which is humbling to me. My worst day so far at Widget has been easier than elsewhere although I’m biased now (and understand it could change in a heart beat with tweaking of software, for the worse). So good for you in setting a goal and following your dream!

Since June I’ve had pretty quick progression and now sit at 93% system seniority so about 1% per month. For full disclosure, I’m hoping for first available upgrade (I’m older and need to make up lost income) anywhere in the system on the 737 (most likely) or 320. Will it last and get me to 87% or by summer? I don’t know. It could slow down, maybe hold a bit, maybe bidding characteristics change. Whatever happens, (this is gonna sound corny) I believe a higher power put me right where I’m supposed to be and perhaps I don’t recognize the path they have in store but I know I’m at the right place and right path. So follow your dream, (not trying to preach or anything) be the best FO/new hire that you can possibly be, learn a lot, and enjoy every minute of it because I can tell you, one day you wake up in your forties and you want to make sure it’s been a hell of a ride to that point.

Wishing everyone well and safe flying.

Stay Frosty